Thursday, April 29, 2010

Just Doing It...

I hope you are all enjoying a great day!!!

Picking up from where I left off the day before yesterday I wanted to continue along the line of "getting to here". So to recap...I started more than 8 years ago. I had numerous hurdles to overcome in my personal life and did not dedicate myself to completing the novel. I did not set a schedule, I did not make the comittment and I did not provide room and space for the creativity to evolve.

Then, BAM!!! Life took a turn for the worse, which somehow I turned into time and comittment. At the same time I utilized a couple of very valued friends and colleagues to sample some of the chapters. Their feedback and inspirational commentary fueled the fire. I comitted to writing each day. Once I had the main first draft done, I scheduled revisions and edits to specific dates and chapters.

I must tell you I would find myself writing late into the midnights hours. Once I dedicated myself to this plot line and completing the novel it seemed my finger pecking dramatically increased in speed, LOL! I couldn't get enough of the computer and my corner recliner. An inspiration would hit me and I would HAVE to write. A quality would come to mind for a character and I would HAVE to weave it into the story line. I became possessed toward completion. Not the best frame of mind, but the release was amazing.

Now I am not advising any of you to isolate as I did. I am not sure I will ever do it that way again. The combination of writing and my life situation determined that outcome. This time around I am more scheduled. More detailed in my breakdowns of time and chapter development. I find myself creating in my head at every turn...How will I write that, What will this character do in that situation, Will he or won't he, etc, etc, etc.

Bottom line for those looking to write their first book...Commitment!!! Whether life is in balance or heavily weighing against you, be committed!!! Believe in your story!!! Believe, Believe, Believe!!!

Have a great day,

Paul Greene
Author - Darkness on the Edge of Town

No comments:

Post a Comment